In XSCALE, product management uses a pattern language called Breadth-first Product Planning to structure a cycle of collaborative Whole Board Thinking, a method of systems thinking, that iteratively, contractively reduces business drivers resulting in changes in system behaviors. The cycle embodies the XSCALE Principles in 5 simple practice patterns:
- Impact Mapping to derive an epic landscape from product analytics and metric critical numbers.
- Simple Design to use science to formalise and break through solution constraints until the last responsible moment.
- Behavior Driven Analysis to derive business features from epic patterns and technical features from cross cutting concerns, and achieve closure by cross-referencing these with themes.
- Business Bingo to determine feature point budgets and Royal Cod priorities.
- Release refactoring to determine the maximum ROROI feature set that can be delivered by a release date.